Pizza, pizza pizza! What more do I need to say? Pizza is just one of those foods that always sounds good. Who’s with me? When I first switched to a low carb, gluten free lifestyle, I set out on a mission to recreate all of my favorite comfort foods into a low carb version. Pizza was close to the top of that list. Since that time, I have created several different low carb pizza variations. From Supreme Pizza Frittata, to Hawaiian Pizza Stuffed Peppers. It is all there! Still not convinced? How about a Garlic Chicken Alfredo Waffle Pizza or a Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza? Do I have your attention now? I am a firm believer that a low carb lifestyle does not have to mean depriving yourself of the things that you love. It simply means getting a little creative and thinking outside of the box. I hope you enjoy these as much as we have!! While you are at it, check out another version of these roll-ups – Hot Ham and Cheese Roll-Ups with Dijon Butter Glaze.
A note about this recipe:
- It is imperative to the recipe that you use a low-moisture, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese. Switching out the cheese will make these fall flat when baking.
- You may have better results if you freeze the roll up for an hour or 2 before slicing.
- Larger shreds work better and tend to be dryer. They really help make a better “dough” consistency.
- If you are worried about these rolls spreading out and flattening, try baking them in a muffin tin. Even better, use a silicone muffin pan and cut your clean up the in half.
Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels – Low Carb and Gluten Free
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 Roll-Ups 1x
For the dough
- 1/4 cup almond flour (get it here)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour (get it here)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup low-moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 large pastured egg
For the filling
- 3/4 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 oz pepperoni slices
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a small mixing bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, sea salt and black pepper.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine mozzarella cheese, butter, and cream cheese. Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds to soften. Mix together until everything is well combined. If if gets stringy or is not quite melted enough, put it back in for another 30 seconds.
- To the cheese mixture, add the dry ingredients and the egg. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. If you are having a hard time mixing it, put it back in the microwave for another 20-30 seconds.
- Once the ingredients are combined, spread the dough out on parchment paper or a silpat in a thin and even layer – about 9″ by 13″. If it starts to get sticky, wet your hands a little bit to prevent it from sticking to you.
- Once you have the dough in a nice, even rectangle, spread the sauce over top, covering all of the dough.
- Next, layer on the mozzarella cheese. Top the cheese with pepperoni slices. Sprinkle Parmesan and Italian seasoning over top.
- Roll the dough up tightly widthwise. (Alternately you can roll lengthwise and get 12 smaller rolls. Turn so that the seam is facing down
- Cut the ends off each side of the roll-up to even it out. Then cut it into 1″ slices.
- Place your individual roll-ups in a baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are fluffy and golden brown.
Per Serving – 1 Roll Up – Calories – 240 | Fat – 18g | Protein – 14g | Total Carbs – 7g | Fiber – 2.5g | Net Carbs – 4.5g
- Serving Size: 1 Roll-Up