This Green Chile Chorizo and Chicken Mexican Casserole is a cheesy comfort food fiesta. Enjoy for lunch or dinner, top with an egg for breakfast!
This Green Chile Chorizo and Chicken Mexican Casserole has it all
Whether you call it a casserole or a hotdish, this recipe has everything delicious. Cauliflower, green chilies, bell pepper, onion, and garlic, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with a blend of Mexican spices, then roasted and topped with layers of tender chicken breast, flavorful pork chorizo, and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. This is one of those casseroles that you crave week after week: it’s so flavorful and satisfying, and the leftovers just develop the flavors even further.
This recipe was born from a desperate need to go grocery shopping. That is when I am forced to be the most creative. I open the fridge and it is like I am looking at a Chopped basket of ingredients and have to figure out a way to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together. It was a huge hit in our household. It has ended up becoming a heavy hitter in our Taco Tuesday rotation.
My favorite way to enjoy this casserole
You could remix this meal in a variety of ways: serve for breakfast and top with a fried egg or throw leftovers into a scramble, use the casserole as a filling in a tortilla for chicken chorizo keto tacos or an enchilada bake, or enjoy on its own topped with sour cream and green onions! The possibilities are endless.
In addition to this easy Mexican chicken casserole, check out some of my other favorite food recipes:
- 30 Fathead Cheese Dough Recipes – Low Carb, Gluten Free
- Keto Mac and Cheese Recipes
- 25 Low Carb Potato Substitutions
- 50 Low Carb Desserts for Chocolate Lovers
- 16 Bone Broth Recipes
- Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Potato, and Bacon Hash – Paleo, Whole30
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes – sugar free, gluten free
- 20 Low Carb Rice Substitution Recipes
- Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Roll Ups – Low Carb and Gluten Free
- 27 Low Carb Keto Pasta Substitutions
Green Chile Chorizo and Chicken Mexican Casserole
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: Makes 8 Servings 1x
- large head of cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed into florets
- 7 ounce can whole green chilies, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I use this brand) code KYNDRA for 10% off
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (I use this brand of spices)
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs, cubed
- 10 ounces pork chorizo, ground
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream and green onions, optional as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower, green chilies, bell pepper, onion, and garlic.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle the cumin, chili powder and oregano over top. Toss to evenly coat all the vegetables.
- Line the vegetables in a single layer across the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan.
- Once the butter is melted and the pan is heated, add the chicken and the chorizo to the pan. Sauté until cooked through.
- Line the roasted vegetables in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Layer half of the cheddar cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Layer the chicken and chorizo on top of the cheese. Top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Optional – top with sour cream and green onions.
net carbs per serving: 6.4g
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 355
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 10.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 24g
Keywords: keto casserole recipe, keto hotdish recipe, low carb casserole, low carb hotdish, keto mexican food