This recipe was born from a desperate need to go grocery shopping. That is when I am forced to be the most creative. I open the fridge and it is like I am looking at a Chopped basket of ingredients and have to figure out a way to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together. It was a huge hit with Jon and the kids. It has ended up becoming a heavy hitter in our Taco Tuesday rotation. You may recognize it from earlier this year in the Week 8 Meal Plan. Check out some of my other low carb and gluten free Taco Tuesday recipe variations over on Peace Love and Low Carb.
Green Chile Chorizo and Chicken Mexican Casserole – Low Carb, Gluten Free
- Yield: Makes 8 Servings 1x
- large head of cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed into florets
- 7 oz can whole green chilies, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 10 oz pork chorizo, ground
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. (Get one here)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower, green chilies, bell pepper, onion, and garlic,
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle the cumin, chili powder and oregano over top. Toss to evenly coat all the vegetables.
- Line the vegetables in a single layer across the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan.
- Once the butter is melted and the pan is heated, add the chicken and the chorizo to the pan. Sauté until cooked through.
- Line the roasted vegetables in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Layer half of the cheddar cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Layer the chicken and chorizo on top of the cheese. Top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Optional – top with sour cream and green onions
Per Serving – Calories: 355 | Protein: 24g | Fat: 25g | Total Carbs: 10.8g | Fiber: 4.4g | Net Carbs: 6.4g