This recipe was born from a desperate need to go grocery shopping. That is when I am forced to be the most creative. I open the fridge and it is like I am looking at a Chopped basket of ingredients and have to figure out a way to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together. It was a huge hit with Jon and the kids. It has ended up becoming a heavy hitter in our Taco Tuesday rotation.
Green Chile Chorizo and Chicken Mexican Casserole – Low Carb, Gluten Free
- Yield: Makes 8 Servings 1x
- large head of cauliflower, cleaned and trimmed into florets
- 7 oz can whole green chilies, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 10 oz pork chorizo, ground
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cauliflower, green chilies, bell pepper, onion, and garlic,
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle the cumin, chili powder and oregano over top. Toss to evenly coat all the vegetables.
- Line the vegetables in a single layer across the baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter to the pan.
- Once the butter is melted and the pan is heated, add the chicken and the chorizo to the pan. Sauté until cooked through.
- Line the roasted vegetables in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Layer half of the cheddar cheese on top of the vegetables.
- Layer the chicken and chorizo on top of the cheese. Top with remaining cheese and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Optional – top with sour cream and green onions
Per Serving – Calories: 355 | Protein: 24g | Fat: 25g | Total Carbs: 10.8g | Fiber: 4.4g | Net Carbs: 6.4g